OPPO has launched yet another 5G device in the Middle East as part of its latest Reno4 Series of smartphones. Five years after it began its 5G journey, OPPO marked 2020 with not one, but two new 5G smartphones – OPPO Reno4 Pro 5G that released last month in the Middle East; and OPPO Find X2 Pro 5G that launched earlier this year. With the regional launch of Reno4 Pro 5G - configured with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G integrated 5G chip with 5G+Wi-Fi dual-channel acceleration, OPPO recognises the Middle East’s move into the 5G era at a significantly higher pace than most other regions in the world.
An early believer in the power of 5G, OPPO has been a pioneer in promoting the commercialisation of 5G technology, and eyes to accelerate the roll-out of 5G globally and across MENA – a region that expects to have more than 45 million 5G connections by 2025 (Source: GSMA). The unprecedented speed and virtually no network latency of 5G is a game-changer not just for mobile phones. Its integration with other frontier technologies moves the connected world towards more enhanced user experiences, more connected devices and new services.
As early as 2015, OPPO established a communications standard and has accumulated a wealth of experience in the development of 5G standards, as well as hardware and software construction. Here is a list of five world’s first 5G technologies commercially launched in the telecommunications sector, developed and innovated by OPPO:
1. In May 2018, OPPO demonstrated the world’s first 5G video call using structured light technology, allowing 3D images to be displayed. This was transmitted via 5G NR (New Radio) terminal prototypes from Qualcomm Technologies and eventually displayed on a remote display screen.
2. In November 2018, OPPO made the world's first 5G WeChat multiplayer video call. The 5G WeChat video call was based on a 5G prototype of OPPO's commercially available model and ran smoothly for more than 17 minutes in a 5G environment with 100-megabit bandwidth.
3. Last year, OPPO became the first company in the world to launch a 5G smartphone powered by then the new Qualcomm 5G chip, bringing an upgraded 5G experience to users. The new Qualcomm 5G chip was the first that integrates 5G baseband and the 5G modem into the processors.
4. In July 2019, OPPO launched OPPO 5G Hotel – the world’s first travelling, 5G powered smart hotel – following the launch of OPPO Reno 5G smartphone. Presented to the world in Australia, OPPO 5G Hotel is a 40ft shipping container which has been transformed into a luxury one-bedroom suite, complete with the latest technology and smart home features.
5. In May 2019, OPPO Reno 5G became the first commercial 5G smartphone available in the European market, when it went on sale in Switzerland. A few months later, OPPO launched the phone in the GCC, making the brand’s 5G debut in the the region. OPPO Reno 5G combines the next-generation connectivity of 5G with the power of OPPO’s Reno series for a superior experience.
In addition to 5G smartphones, OPPO’s portfolio includes OPPO 5G CPE, OPPO Watch, OPPO Enco wireless headphones and other intelligent devices, which are oriented towards the 5G era, creating an integrated personal technology experience for users.
Last year, OPPO announced a three-year investment plan of $7bn allocated for R&D, to develop core technologies including 5G/6G, AI, AR, big data and other frontier technologies. To date, OPPO has deployed its 5G standard patents in over 20 countries and regions around the world. According to leading Japanese research institute, NGB Corporation, OPPO is among the top ten companies with the greatest number of declared 5G patent families.
Ethan Xue, President of OPPO in the Middle East and Africa, said,
OPPO has been an advocate and pioneer of 5G commercialisation with a host of innovative devices and applications that leverage the power of 5G. Bringing a wealth of technologies powered by 5G to the mid-range category, our newest Reno4 Pro 5G smartphone is the most recent milestone on our 5G journey that we initiated five years ago. The convergence of 5G and other technologies continues to present new services and experiences, which we believe every user should be able to experience. As we enter the new era of ‘the integration of all things’, OPPO's 5G phones aim to provide all users with more choice, more value and more convergent experiences.