And the good news is that now Micromax is providing the official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update to the Canvas HD A116 devices. But as already said, there will be no OTA (Over The Air) update. You will have to go to the Micromax outlets to get the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS on your Canvas HD A116 device.
But now, the official Jelly Bean ROM for Micromax Canvas HD A116 is available online and you can update your device by yourself. I updated my device today morning and it is working great. I am sharing the exact procedure below using which you can update your Micromax Canvas HD A116 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean by yourself too.
The official Jelly Bean update for Micromax Canvas HD A116 brings better imaging, tweaked UI with new notification panel and few more features. It also brings the OTA capability to the Micromax Canvas HD A116. So from the next time, you will be able to update the software of your device wirelessly. But for now, you will have to either visit the Micromax outlet or follow the steps given below.
Warning : Though I have followed the same steps mentioned below and successfully updated my Micromax Canvas HD A116 to the official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM, I will not be responsible if anything goes wrong with your device. So, do it at your own risk.
HOW TO : Update Micromax Canvas HD A116 to Official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS
1. First of all, take the full backup of your data. All apps, SMS, contacts and data stored in your phone memory will be wiped during this process.
2. Now, install the drivers for your device available at the official Micromax website on your computer.
3. Download the official Micromax Canvas HD A116 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM from the link given below. And if you are not having the SP Flash Tool then, download it as well.
Download the Official Micromax Canvas HD A116 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM
Download the SP Flash Tool
4. Extract the entire folder of the Jelly Bean ROM and SP Flash Tool on your desktop.
5. Launch the SP Flash Tool from the extracted folder by clicking on the "Flash_tool" file having blue colored icon.
6. When the SP Flash Tool is launched, click on the "Scatter-loading" button available on the right side to browse and look for the file "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" in the extracted ROM folder. Once located and selected the desired file, check if all options are checked or not.
7. Now click on the Options --> DA Download All --> Speed and select the "Force to High Speed" option.
8. Switch off your Canvas HD phone and remove battery, SIM card and memory card. Connect the phone to computer using USB cable. SP Flash Tool will detect your device which you can see at the bottom of the window.
9. Click on the "Download" button now and your Micromax Canvas HD A116 will start getting Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update. You will be able to see the progress in the notification bar. When the upgradation is finished, a green circle will appear on the screen confirming the task is 100% completed.
10. Now remove the phone from the USB cable. Put the battery in it and switch it on.
11. Important : Do not touch anywhere on your screen after switching on your device and keep it idle on some surface. When the phone starts, you will see a notification regarding the "TP Update" which is the touch panel update. If you touch your the screen of your phone while TP update is going on, your Canvas HD's screen may become unresponsive..
TP update notification appears on the screen with an "OK" button. DO NOT TOUCH that button too until the TP update is going in the background and you get the "Firmware Upgrade Success" notification on the screen. If the light goes off during TP update then, press the power button to light up the screen. Do not touch the screen until the TP update is done in any condition.
Once the "Firmware Upgrade Success" notification appear on your screen, you can start using your Micromax Canvas HD A116 with the official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM.
Another important thing is that the Developer Options menu is hidden in the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS. To unlock it, follow the instructions given on the page linked below.
HOW TO : Unlock the Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Smartphones
Watch the video tutorial given below to understand the entire procedure clearly.