Apple iPad 2 sold close to 1 million units on its big launch back in March 2011, breaking the record of the original iPad which sold 1 million units only 28 days after its launch. And although there are a lot of competitors that came out from different manufacturers like Samsung’s Galaxy Tab, HP’s Touch Pad, RIM’s BlackBerry Playbook, Motorola’s Zoom and many more, Apple still dominates the world of the tablet PC making 2011 the year of iPad 2.
Rumor has been circulating that Apple will not have a big event this month but will have it on March instead, in time for the unveiling of their 3rd generation of tablet PC, the iPad 3. The launch will probably be held in San Francisco at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and just like last year, the new tablet PC will be available for sale after a week of the launch.
It is said that Apple already started manufacturing the iPad 3 since January and production will increase this month to meet the volume of sales that they expect following the launch.
So what can Apple fans expect with the new iPad 3? Here are some of the speculated new features that Apple Inc. will incorporate with the release of the iPad3 :
- Processor : Improving the A5 processor of its predecessor, the iPad 3 will use a quad core processor (A6).
- Display : The new tablet PC will still have a 9.7 inch display similar to the iPad 2 but its resolution will greatly be improved with the use of 2048x1536 Retina Display in iPad 3. Retina Display is the term used by Apple for their high-resolution screen technology which they use for their iPhone 4 and 4s. With retina display, the jagged edges of the pixel are smoothened producing a higher quality image. Apple fans will definitely be over the moon if this pushes through as they have been expecting this improvement when iPad 2 was released.
- OS : Apple will release iOS 5.1 with the release of the iPad 3. And since Siri, Apple’s voice-controlled personal assistant included with the iPhone 4S has been so popular, it is believe that Apple will also include it with their 3rd generation of tablet PC.
- Wireless Connectivity : 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) will be introduced in the new iPad model. 4G can provide up to 10 times the speed of 3G, which is what is currently available for the iPad 2.
- Battery : The iPad 3 will have a bigger battery to support the quad core processor and high resolution retina display.
- Depth : Because of the need for a bigger battery, the iPad 3 will be much thicker with a depth of 9.5 mm compared to the 8.8 mm of the iPad 2.
- Camera : The camera for the iPad 3 will also be improved with the rear camera having quality as good as the 8 mega pixel camera of the iPhone 4S and the front camera will be able to support HD resolution video that is not available with its predecessor.
Apple has been really tight lipped ever since with all of their products and of course there is no way to know if all of these rumors are true until its launch. If at least the speculated unveiling in March will turn out to be true, then gadget lovers will just have to wait for a few more days before they can get hold of Apple’s newest baby.